Monday, September 15, 2008

Letter from Canadian MMT Patient Praises Treatment

Another Canadian Praises The MMT Program
Sunday, Sep 14, 2008

Methadone program gave me a second chance at life

The Province

Published: Friday, September 12, 2008

Any system designed to help people always has a couple of bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

As an ex-heroin addict I wouldn't have had the chance for a second start in life without the methadone program.

I'm now working full time. I don't rely on the government to pick up the tab on my medicine, nor do I receive any sort of incentive, cash or otherwise, for my prescription.

Leslie Tannen of the Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association should do her homework before she puts down a great program.

There are biweekly and random urine tests to make sure patients are not misusing the program, but you can't monitor anything 100 per cent of the time.

If anything, these ma and pa pharmacies should have more screening to determine who dispenses the methadone and if they follow correct procedures.

Tannen's comments were insulting -- only a very few abuse the program.

Michael Smith,

Vancouver

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon